BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, September 30, 2010

See Who's Capitalizing Off of Us....Street Slang Defined

When completing an assignment on Single Mothers, I went to the search engine Google to find the politically correct definition of "single mother". One of Google's results were Urban Dictionary: Single Mother. I clicked it since the other websites did not satisfy me. To my surprise I found these two definitions: 

1) Something that can happen to a female that makes poor decisions. 

ex: Salita was a female that only dated guys with money and fancy cars. She had 3 kids in a 4 year period pushing her further into single parenthood.

2) A women who is single and have child(ren) out of one of the following reasons:

1.) Divorced
2.) Carelessness
3.) Both

ex: Shanda was an unhappy single mother who was mad because men did not take her seriously in relationships because she had so many children. They only saw her as a sex object. She is expecting her sixth child.

Shanda has turned down invitations to be a guest on both the Jerry Springer and Maury Povich shows.

Now after reading the definitions and their examples (the name choices and scenarios are quite interesting), I looked in the top left corner and saw an advertisement for a book named "mo' urban dictionary", which can be bought at Amazon or Barnes & Noble. "Mo' urban"'s cover is designed with a Caucasian woman from maybe the 50s smiling with one of her thumbs up. Curiosity forced me to click on the advertisement link . Curiosity also led me to click on the compiler's name, Aaron Peckham. Doing that led me to another page, which introduced me to another book by the name of "Urban Dictionary (must be the first edition).

Now I know this may come off a bit racist or ignorant, but something told me that Aaron Peckham was not a man of color or better yet, someone who is of the urban community (I do know that you do NOT have to be of color in order to be from the urban community). So I Googled Aaron Peckham, but this time I searched Images. My intuition served me right.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails